Calculator (this may be useful) StopWatch
1 Apr 10
(questions on the final worth 10 pts) (8 computers if possible)
2 Apr 17
(questions on the final worth 10 pts)
3 Apr 24
4 May 1
|Relative Humidity Lab pdf file (questions on the final worth 10 pts) Dew Pt & Relative Humidity Calculator VaporPressureCalculator InteractiveGraph (3 computers )|
5 May 8
Cloud Physics Lab
Cloud in a bottle
(questions on the final worth 10 pts)
6 May 15
7 May 22
8 May 29
|No Lab meeting May 29, Memorial Day|
9 June 5
|CO2 Simulator Activity CCFigure CarbonCycle Plate tectonics Subduction|
10 June 12
|Case Study Presentation (50 pts. )|
Lab Assessment: Your performance in Lab will be assessed by some lab related questions on the final (to assess student understanding of laboratory concepts), the overall quality of laboratory reports, attendance, and participation. Details of the assessment for the laboratory portion of the course are included below.
related Meteorology 101 Laboratory
Laboratory Safety: Safety in the laboratory is of utmost importance. The instructor has taken every precaution to ensure that students have a safe working environment while performing laboratory activities. Students should always use their best judgment while in the laboratory to make sure that they are working safely. Please help keep the laboratory safe by notifying the instructor immediately of all potentially dangerous situations.
General Learning Goals & Abilities which apply to the
1) Learn and understand the scientific content described as learning objectives for each laboratory activity.
2) Use knowledge and skills developed in lecture and lab to explain laboratory results using the language of science. Write clearly with appropriate style and mechanics. Use diagrams and figures to help communicate ideas. (Critical Thinking and Communication abilities)
Learn how to keep an accurate, neat, organized, and complete
documentation of your scientific activity in much the same way that
Learning and Information /Technology Abilities)
4) Manage time, meet deadlines, allow challenges to build discipline and confidence. (Lifelong Learning Ability)
Work cooperatively with others in a group setting.
(Lifelong Learning Ability,
how to make
precise and accurate measurements. Learn
how to determine the precision of measurements and calculations.
Learn that significant figures reflect the precision of
technique and of the final results.
7) Work safely in the laboratory environment (Lifelong Learning Ability)
3. Bring a pencil and a calculator to lab with you.
4. Try not to hurry through the lab exercises, rather try to understand them as you go along. The instructor is there to help you if you experience difficulty, not to tell you answers. Finish all data collection, calculations, and answer all questions before leaving the lab and have your instructor evaluate your work.
5. Please act responsibly and safely at all times while in lab. Please notify the instructor of any safety concerns that you may have while in lab.
6. Lab write-ups are not collected. Students will be given a grade of 0 through 10 on their lab reports and participation based on the instructor's impression of the overall quality of their work during each laboratory activity.
Students should be on time. If circumstances prohibit a student from arriving on time the student should plan on attending another lab section that week, or doing a make-up assignment (see below).
8. 8. Any
student missing more than 2 labs will receive an incomplete for the
course (provided a C or better has been earned for all work in the
course). Each lab activity
missed by the student will reduce their overall course grade by 2 %. Laboratory exercises are assigned weekly.
Misc. labs from past do not do these and ignore comments
Hurricane Strike Module Worksheet run in Standard Multi-media Version. Complete these worksheets and submit through Moodle. (questions on the final worth 10 pts) (11 computers if possible)
Vertical Motion Introduction
Mountain Cloud Simulator PDF activity sheet (10 pts)
Solar Zenith pdf Word version(10 pts in lab and questions on the final worth 10 pts) declination shadow House (colored pencils, and protractors)
The lab activity has been designed as a do at home lab. Youtube videos are embedded within the lab instructions to help you work through the lab.
Solar Zenit Word version (20 pts) declination shadow House (colored pencils, and protractors)
Sun Clock Activity SunPath Activity ( 20 pts). To make your graph use either Excel or graph by hand Blank Graph
CFC (8computers if possible) Activity sheet Ozone
Weather Maps Lab part2
(8 computers if possible) 1980to2010Tornadoes.xls
Severe Storm Lab
Carbon Dioxide Lab
CO2 Simulator Activity CCFigure CarbonCycle Plate tectonics Subduction